News Details


【Company Secretary】Can Foreign Nationals Get a Seal Registration Certificate?

List of news

ARK Outsourcing KK provides one-stop service mainly to Japanese branches or subsidiaries of foreign-based companies.
In this article, we will introduce the basic information about making English company documents such as articles of incorporation or meeting minutes in a dialogue style. The contents of this article are based on our discussions in the internal study group.

Ken (male):      Ken is 22 years old. He has been with ARK for a year.
Emma (female):  Emma is 34 years old. She is a mother of one child and a trainer at ARK.
George (male):   George is 46 years old. He has been working hard to become a paralegal.

Emma, you told us that foreign nationals can become directors of KK (kabushiki-kaisha) at the previous training. I’ve been thinking about a seal registration certificate (Inkan-Shomei), which is required for the registration process of KK. Is it possible for foreign nationals to get a seal registration certificate?

That’s a good point. A foreign national who does not have an address in Japan cannot get a seal registration certificate. But it does not mean that he/she does not have to attach a certificate for application. In that case, a signature certificate (Sign-Shomei) should be attached instead. You should let your clients know about the details of a signature certificate.

Let’s check what information you need to fill out in the signature certificate.
You have to fill out the following information in the signature certificate, and it should get notarized at a notary office in the home country.
・Birth date
・Address in the resident country

In cases where your current address is not in the home country, the signature certificate can be certified by the embassy /consulate of the home country in the resident country.

In this article, we mentioned “Can Foreign Nationals Get a Seal Registration Certificate?” 
Please note that this article only introduces general outlines and does not include professional advice. So please make sure not to make any decisions without taking professional advice individually. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

(Reference / English)
  The Ministry of Justice
  “Procedures of Commercial and Corporation Registration for Foreign Nationals 
and Expatriates”
(Accessed on March 3, 2023)